🍫 Team Leader Chocolatier (1 position)
We are always so excited for bringing new team members to our Mary's Brigadeiro Family. Our small team of chocolate heroes are constantly working on finding new ways to enjoy a great chocolate brigadeiro.
We are always on the look out for engaged and experience like-minded people to share in our great work environment.
About the Job
A typical day on the confections team usually begins with a Brigadeiro production as this person will be the main responsible for the recipes and other chocolate creations. This would include prepare the Brigadeiro recipes for the day while making sure all the week is well planned for the production team and flavours ahead. Throughout the day, you help keep the space tidy and organized, doing dishes as needed and making sure all surfaces are clean.
The candidate should have knowledge in chocolate crystallization as it will be part of seasonal products and development for other excited projects.
Leadership aspect necessary as you will guide the team with the flavours it should be done and finalized by the day and coordinate the production with the online, corporate and in store orders. You'll also spend some time in your day prepping materials and packaging confections for sale.
Our team cares deeply about the process and takes pride in an end product that reflects the hard work and care of our chocolate heroes and producers. We prefer that candidate have kitchen or pastry experience, as it helps with the pace and demands of this position.
You are fascinated by all things chocolate and of course, the Brigadeiro, and feel great satisfaction working hard and fast towards concrete and measurable milestones. In the dynamic, supportive, flexible and detail-oriented team environment, you eagerly offer a hand when needed and help brainstorm potential solutions for an issue that has everyone stumped. The team knows they can always rely on you and your high attention to detail, recognizing that your own high personal standards for the quality of your work matches perfectly with their own. You are self-motivated and feel great satisfaction with a spotless workspace where every item is in its place. You understand the safety standards that must be followed in a small productions setting, communicating your location in a tight space, and knowing when to ask for help when you aren’t sure how to proceed. When you meet new information, you follow up with clarifying questions until you are confident that you could teach the same topic backwards and forwards to the next curious chocolate enthusiast. You easily adapt to the changing daily tides of a production-based chocolate company. We’re looking for someone who is eager to learn a new experience in chocolate, good-humored, and likes to get their hands dirty.
Mary will give all the training necessary to achieve a great performance as this new role will substitute her in the working space, so the person should be able to take responsibilities, be able to work in a team and also alone when necessary.
- Production: Learning and performing all steps of the Brigadeiro (the main product) and other confections production process to be an independent and contributing team member. You have a great sense of time management and proactively look for other tasks when you have finished your task and have unexpected downtime.
- Quality: Tasting and evaluating Brigadeiro flavours and quality. Holding high quality standards, monitoring each item that is produced to make sure it holds up to those standards. You have a keen attention to detail and are sure to call out when something doesn’t look right, even if it means more work for you.
- Safety: Adhering to strict safety standards and following proper machinery, food safety, and quality procedures to ensure safety of the team and the product. We work with machinery each day and our team members depend upon each other to maintain strict safety standards.
- Maintenance: Cleaning and maintaining our production area, including machines and equipment.
- Goals: Ensure that you are hitting daily goals to help keep the team on track to meet customer demand for busiest seasons.
- Packaging: Pack confections into boxes when necessary, keeping in mind the customer’s unboxing experience. If tissue paper tears or a sticker rips, you are sure to replace it and solve the issue rather than ignore it.
- Other tasks as necessary
Ability to work legally in Canada (work visa or permanent resident);
- Currently living in Canada;
- Able to understand and speak English;
- Must have Food Handler Certificate;
- Being Vaccinated against COVID, so we can keep the entire team and the community in serve safe;
- Previous kitchen, chocolate or pastry experience is necessary for this position -- especially the habits of washing hands, labeling and dating finished products and working thoughtfully around others.
- The ability to absorb new information in a fast-paced environment and to complete tasks quickly, accurately, and efficiently while working independently and with the team.
- A positive attitude. Chocolate can get messy and machines can break, so a positive attitude will serve you very well!
- The ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, and walking throughout your shift. This position requires that you be moving on your feet for most of the day and to occasionally lift heavy objects like 10kg chocolate bag. We also do tasks that require repetitive motion as you will also learn how to hand-roll the Brigadeiros with the team.
1912 Danforth Avenue, Toronto. Just 5 minutes walking from Woodbine Station.
- This full-time position is Monday through Friday.
- 30% discount in the most of our products;
- 2 weeks vacation during the year plus 3 weeks after New Year as part of our annual winter break after the busiest season;
- We work with flexibility and we will do our best to accommodate your needs;
- We are looking for a long term and stable position;
- Chocolate and tasting opportunities in events;
- Free beverages and snacks;
- Safe work place. We at MB are committed to creating a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
- Benefits (after 3 months): Our benefit package includes 3 paid sick days and it comes with periodic services that we encourage you like massage, chiropractor, acupuncture, dance classes, discounts in therapy session, etc. Mary is an advocate in activities to support your mental health and to encourage you to try new things, create hobbies outside the work space! We like to think outside the box and offer something different to increase and motivate different activities.
How to Apply
Mary's Brigadeiro is growing and we have big plans to this year. We are invested in people who takes ownership over their role and are interested in contributing in a bigger way with us, people who has passion and work together as a team. If you are interested, we’d like to see your resume and a cover letter that includes a couple of sentences about what excites you about working with us. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, hard work and things outside the box, so tell us what inspires you to want to be the next Lead Chocolatier at Mary's Brigadeiro.
Email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting Day: February/2023